[cocoa] Are “EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)” exceptions caused by debugging breakpoints?
It is extremely likely that this user has a corrupt font installed. The stack trace definitely supports that hypothesis, as does the fact that it's only affecting one user.
There's not much you can do in that case except get the user to remove the offending font, as the crashes that occur take place deep down in Apple's code.
Try getting the user to run a font validation in Font Book. To do this, launch Font Book, click All Fonts in the source list and then select all the listed fonts. You can then select Validate Fonts from the File menu.
I have a multithreaded app that is very stable on all my test machines and seems to be stable for almost every one of my users (based on no complaints of crashes). The app crashes frequently for one user, though, who was kind enough to send crash reports. All the crash reports (~10 consecutive reports) look essentially identical:
Date/Time: 2010-04-06 11:44:56.106 -0700 OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573) Report Version: 6 Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP) Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000 Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90ab98d4 __CFBasicHashRehash + 3348 1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90adf610 CFBasicHashRemoveValue + 1264 2 com.apple.CoreText 0x94e0069c TCFMutableSet::Intersect(__CFSet const*) const + 126 3 com.apple.CoreText 0x94dfe465 TDescriptorSource::CopyMandatoryMatchableRequest(__CFDictionary const*, __CFSet const*) + 115 4 com.apple.CoreText 0x94dfdda6 TDescriptorSource::CopyDescriptorsForRequest(__CFDictionary const*, __CFSet const*, long (*)(void const*, void const*, void*), void*, unsigned long) const + 40 5 com.apple.CoreText 0x94e00377 TDescriptor::CreateMatchingDescriptors(__CFSet const*, unsigned long) const + 135 6 com.apple.AppKit 0x961f5952 __NSFontFactoryWithName + 904 7 com.apple.AppKit 0x961f54f0 +[NSFont fontWithName:size:] + 39
(....more text follows)
First, I spent a long time investigating [NSFont fontWithName:size:]. I figured that maybe the user's fonts were screwed up somehow, so that [NSFont fontWithName:size:] was requesting something non-existent and failing for that reason. I added a bunch of code using [[NSFontManager sharedFontManager] availableFontNamesWithTraits:NSItalicFontMask] to check for font availability in advance. Sadly, these changes didn't fix the problem.
I've now noticed that I forgot to remove some debugging breakpoints, including _NSLockError, [NSException raise], and objc_exception_throw. However, the app was definitely built using "Release" as the active build configuration. I assume that using the "Release" configuration prevents setting of any breakpoints--but then again I am not sure exactly how breakpoints work or whether the program needs to be run from within gdb for breakpoints to have any effect.
My questions are: could my having left the breakpoints set be the cause of the crashes observed by the user? If so, why would the breakpoints cause a problem only for this one user? If not, has anybody else had similar problems with [NSFont fontWithName:size:]?
I will probably just try removing the breakpoints and sending back to the user, but I'm not sure how much currency I have left with that user. And I'd like to understand more generally whether leaving the breakpoints set could possibly cause a problem (when the app is built using "Release" configuration).
I had the same error. For an unexplainable reason the breakpoint was the responsible of the throwing the EXC_BREAKPOINT exception. The solution was to remove the breakpoint, and then code works.
EXC_BREAKPOINT is a type of exception that debuggers use. When you set a breakpoint in your code, the compiler inserts an exception of this type in the executable code. When the execution reaches that point, the exception is thrown and the debugger catches it. Then the debugger shows your code in the "breakpointed" line. This is how debuggers work. But in this case the debugger does not handle the exception correctly and is presented as a regular exception error.
I have found this error two times in my life:
- one using Xcode about a year ago.
- the other using Visual C++ about 15 years ago.