[c#] Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies



Answers

Open IIS Manager

Select Application Pools

then select the pool you are using

go to advanced settings (at right side)

Change the flag of Enable 32-bit application false to true.

Question

I'm having another of these "Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies" problems.

Additional information: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.Unity, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

I have no idea what is causing this or how I could debug it to find the cause.

I've done a search in my solution catalogs .csproj files, and every where I have Unity I have:

Reference Include="Microsoft.Practices.Unity, Version=2.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL"

Can't find any reference anywhere which goes against 1.2.0.0 in any of my projects.

Any ideas how I should go about solving this?

I would also appreciate tips on how to debug problems like this in general.




Microsoft Enterprise Library (referenced by .NetTiers) was our problem, which was in turn referencing an older version of Unity. In order to solve the problem we used the following binding redirection in the web.config:

<configuration>
    <runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Practices.Unity" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-2.0.414.0" newVersion="2.1.505.0" />
            </dependentAssembly>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Configuration" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-2.0.414.0" newVersion="2.1.505.0" />
            </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
</configuration>

Alternatively, you may want to just update the Enterprise Library to the latest version.




I also got this terrible error and found a solution for this...

  1. Right Click on the Solution name
  2. Click Clean Solution
  3. Restart Visual Studio
  4. Goto project Properties >> Build
  5. Change Configuration to Release
  6. Start Debugging (F5)

1) , 2)

4) , 5)

Hope this will help you also.




Look out for conflicting references. Even after a clean and rebuild, conflicting references will still cause a problem. My problem was between AForge and Accord. I removed both of the references, and re-added the references re-choosing the particular reference (particular to my case, just Accord).




In my case, none of the proposed answer worked.

Here is what worked for me:

  1. Remove the reference
  2. Rename the DLL
  3. Import the reference again

The second step was important apparently as it did not work without it.




I "Set as Startup Project" the unloaded/unfound library/project.

Then deployed it.

It worked!

I think it couldn't found the .dll because it was not in the assembly at first.




In solution explorer right click on project (not solution), in build tab choose Platform target : "Any CPU".




  • Goto :Solution -> Package
  • Click on Advanced Tab (Find below the page)
  • Add your dll to additional assemblies(this way we can add external dlls in sharepoint).



Check the Web.config/App.config file in your project. See if the version numbers are correct.

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="X.X.X.X-X.X.X.X" newVersion="X.X.X.X" />

This worked for me.




Try to clean Debug and Release folders in your solution. Then remove and add unity again.




Okay this may sound very stupid, but heres how I solved the issue after trying out every other solution and spending a night on this stupid thing.

I was getting the same error with some DLL missing from Bin Folder. I tried to delete , get back up everything from Team Foundation Server but didn't work. Got a copy of Bin folder from my office-matelocal machine, and replaced it. It didn't work either. At last, I manually FTPed server, got the copy of DLL which was showing up as missing, and then it started showing up that next file in the file list sequence is missing.

So I ftped server Got all Bin Folder, Manually replaced each file one by one. (Not Ctrl + All and replace.. I tried : it didn't work.) And somehow it worked...




Following worked for me.

  • Remove Temporary Files C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    • then right click on Temporary Asp.net Files>properties>security and give total control access to IIS and to all user runing my project



Thanks Riddhi M. Following worked for me.

Remove Temporary Files C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files Close VSTS and Open Again Remove and Add the same DLLs (Note: you add the same matching versions)




You have to delete Your appname.dll file from your output folder. Cleanup Debug and Release folders. Rebuild and copy to output folder regenerated dll file.




I had this today, and in my case the issue was very odd:

  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-3.1.0" newVersion="3.1.0.0" />
  </dependentAssembly>0.

Note the stray characters at the end of the XML - somehow those had been moved from the version number to the end of this block of XML!

  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-3.1.0.0" newVersion="3.1.0.0" />
  </dependentAssembly>

Changed to the above and voila! Everything worked again.






Links