with - visual studio 2017 github tutorial
Attempting push on git and receiving “could not read Username for 'https://github.com': terminal prompts disabled” (5)
I'm using Visual Studio, and the GitHub Extension. I am able to sign in, then clone my team's repository, and then pull changes successfully.
When it comes time to push my changes back to remote, I get a blank command prompt appear on the screen briefly, and then the following errors in the output window:
Error encountered while pushing to the remote repository: Git failed with a fatal error.
fatal: AggregateException encountered. One or more errors occurred.
error: cannot spawn askpass: No such file or directory
fatal: could not read Username for 'https://github.com': terminal prompts disabled
EDIT: pushing via the command line works, as does pushing via the GitHub desktop application, just not within this extension.
Any ideas why this might be happening? I can't see why it needs the Username given that I have signed into the extension.
In my case the same issue coming on below scenario:
We are under corporate network. So we have our own proxy. When we try cloning we cant able to download due to same error.
I added proxy url in our git config.
[http] proxy=http://YourNameHere:[email protected]:6050/ sslVerify = false [https] proxy=http://YourNameHere:[email protected]:6050/ sslVerify = false
Issue disappears and i can do all git operations.
As per my comment. You can include your username in the remote URL (similar to FTP).
Example without password (SSH):
git remote set-url origin [email protected]/username/repo.git
Example with password (https)
Updated 5/14/2018 to correct
github.com in the original answer
I faced the same issue after I have only TLS1.2 enabled on my PC. After enabling TLS 1.1, SSL.x the issue was resolved. For enabling and disabling I used IISCrypto software. Hope that helps the team and other users.
What worked for me was to disconnect from all the existing connections in Visual Studio, remove them one-by-one and connect from scratch. Then immediatelly I was able to clone the repository again.