firefox - with - magento 1.9 blocked loading mixed active content

Got “Blocked loading mixed active content” on HTTP website (3)


I'm developing a website served using HTTP protocol. In development I use Webpack with it's webpack-dev-server, which serves the page locally on http://localhost:9090.

I was surprised to see in Firefox 58 console the following mixed content error about loading the font file. It's weird to me, cause the page is served using HTTP not HTTPS and I thought mixed content errors are limited only to HTTPS pages.

`Blocked loading mixed active content “http://localhost:9090/b1aa06d82e70bbd5a14259a94c9bbb40.ttf”

I found out that the source of the error is YouTube video embedded in an <iframe> on the page (<iframe src=">). As soon as I remove the YouTube embed, the error disappears from the console.

I don't understand this behavior, cause it's not nested HTTPS iframe which is making this font request, but the outer HTTP page (top-level browsing context)!


The outer page (top-level browsing context) is served using HTTP. Only it's embedded iframe is fetched using HTTPS. The HTTP request for a font file that the outer page makes (not the embedded iframe) produces mixed content error in Firefox 58 console.

Code Examples

To give a working example I created 2 pens on Plunker, which is served over HTTP and imports (the Plunker site itself, not my code) WOFF font Font Awesome over HTTP.

The example With error, which has YouTube iframe embedded over HTTPS, produces the following error in Firefox 58 console: Blocked loading mixed active content “”.

The example Without error, which is the same code just having the iframe removed, produces no error.


  • How can you have a mixed content on a website loaded using HTTP protocol? I thought mixed content can only exist on websites loaded using HTTPS. Does requiring any resource over HTTPS (like it's done by YouTube embed) makes all the content required over HTTP mixed content?
  • How can I fix the error? I don't plan to serve website over HTTPS and I want my fonts to load properly on the production HTTP server.

I encountered this problem as a result of my live and staging servers being HTTPS, and my local/dev copy being HTTP.

I solved it by generating my CSS dynamically, and using inline data: fonts in the CSS, rather than URL references. This removes any URL information associated with a font, and so avoids any possible cross-site cache contamination.

In my case I have used PHP, but this could be changed to any server-side language.

// Declare this as a CSS file for the browser
header('Content-type: text/css');

 * Respond with 304 if the content was served recently
 * The logic here is:
 * We get a IMS date in the request e.g. 21:00 (Then)
 * We look at the current time e.g. 21:30 (Now)
 * So (Now - Then) must be < 60 * 60
    $thenTime = strtotime($_SERVER['HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE']);
    if(time() - $thenTime < 60 * 60)
        header('HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified');

// Tell the client the resource was modified on the last hour
$modifiedDate = gmdate('D, d M Y H:00:00 T', time());
header('Last-Modified: ' . $modifiedDate);

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Open Sans';
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 300;
  src: local('Open Sans Light'),
       url(data:application/x-font-woff;charset=utf-8;base64,<?php echo base64font('open-sans-light.woff') ?>) format('woff');

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Open Sans';
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 400;
  src: local('Open Sans'),
        url(data:application/x-font-woff;charset=utf-8;base64,<?php echo base64font('open-sans-normal.woff') ?>) format('woff');


function base64font($file)
    $fontFolder = realpath(__DIR__ . '/../fonts');
    $data = file_get_contents($fontFolder . '/' . $file);
    $base64 = base64_encode($data);

    return $base64;

I have set the 304 header to kick in if the copy already served to the browser is recent. You don't have to have this, but it will improve performance if you do. Font definitions rarely change, so you could make this delay longer on high-traffic sites.

I had the same issue. I resolved it by using a relative path instead of an absolute path.

Since my fonts are being called from this CSS "/styles/my.css", and my fonts were located in "/fonts/Open_Sans..."

Before (with FF errors):

@font-face {
  font-family: "Open Sans";
  src: url("/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Light.woff2") format("woff2"),
  url("/fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Light.woff") format("woff");
  font-weight: 300;

After (without FF errors):

@font-face {
  font-family: "Open Sans";
  src: url("../fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Light.woff2") format("woff2"),
  url("../fonts/Open_Sans/OpenSans-Light.woff") format("woff");
  font-weight: 300;

Since you're having problems on Firefox's end, follow their given documentation, How to fix a website with blocked mixed content:

How to fix your websiteEdit

The best strategy to avoid mixed content blocking is to serve all the content as HTTPS instead of HTTP.

For your own domain, serve all content as HTTPS and fix your links. Often, the HTTPS version of the content already exists and this just requires adding an "s" to links - http:// to https://.

However, in some cases, the path may just be incorrect to the media in question. There are online as well as offline tools (depending on your operating system) such as linkchecker to help resolve this.

For other domains, use the site's HTTPS version if available. If HTTPS is not available, you can try contacting the domain and asking them if they can make the content available via HTTPS.